Sir Martin Francis Wood, CBE, FRS (born 19 April 1927) was co-founder of Oxford Instruments, one of the first spin-out companies from theUniversity of Oxford and still one of the most successful.
He was educated at Gresham's School, Holt and Trinity College, Cambridge University, where he read engineering, and Imperial College, London. From 1955 to 1969, he was a Senior Research Officer at the Clarendon Laboratory at the University of Oxford. He used the knowledge he acquired on high field magnets to form Oxford Instruments.
Sir Martin and his wife, Audrey, have many philanthropic achievements, including donating £2m for the building of the Sir Martin Wood Lecture Theatre at the Clarendon Laboratory. He also founded the Northmoor Trust to promote nature conservation at Little Wittenham and the Wittenham Clumps, and the Sylva Foundation to support sustainable forest management. In 2005, Oxford Innovation, a company also founded by Sir Martin Wood, launched the Martin and Audrey Wood Enterprise Awards for entrepreneurship.
Martin Wood was knighted in 1986, was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1987, and has received honorary degrees in eight British universities.